Monday, October 24, 2011

DIY Ponytail holders


We're no longer homeschoolers. This year my 11 year old son and 6 year old daughter enrolled at a small private school. My children have made lots of friends and they both LOVE school. BUT going to school did create a small problem... TORN TIGHTS! UGH! Demi has to wear a uniform skirt (pants are not allowed for girls) so I put her in white tights to keep her legs warm. She stumbles/falls at least once a week and gets a hole in the knee of her new tights (she never seems to tear her older tights). After a bit of thinking I decided to cut them up to make ponytail holders. In a house with 2 little girls both with long hair we use a LOT of ponytail holders. Every week I buy a large pack of ponytail holders (at the same time I'm buying new tights). NOT anymore! I now cut up the tights to make ponytail holders. They work great in my girls hair (they don't tangle or break hair). It's so simple you can make a large amount of ponytail holders in a couple minutes!

Above is a pair of tights with a hole in the knee (they are size 4-7 but any size tights will work).

Grab your scissors and start snipping the tights. I snip them about 1/2 inch wide.

Here is one leg all snipped in loops (not looking like ponytail holders yet).



Stretch the loops a bit and they will curl up into a ponytail holder like magic!





I now have a few weeks worth of ponytail holders. No need to get mad over tights with holes anymore. :-)

I have no idea what happens to all of our ponytail holders after they are in my girls hair. I know they should be in the house someplace (Demi comes home with them still in her hair every day). They seem to vanish soon after she gets home. Someday I'll find that hidden spot under the bed or back of closet that is holding 6 years worth of ponytail holders. Until then I'll keep cutting up torn tights.

Here's a photo of Zee's ponytails (snapped when she was eating grapes).
Here's a shot of Demi's ponytails after a long day of school and changing into play clothes.


No more tears over torn tights at my house!
Tip Junkie handmade projects

3 comments:

Nicole [The Lovely Poppy] said...

great and unique idea, i'm stopping over from tip junkie and would love to have you stop by my blog and check out our huge giveaway going on- http://thelovelypoppy.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-follower-giveaway.html xoxo nicole

Pounds4Pennies said...

Great idea. Reduce, reuse and recycle! stopping by from tip Junkie.

jrollings said...

I had one pony tail holder left tonight now after about a minute or 2 I have 13 :D I saved the rest of the stockings so when I lose these I can recut more. No need to do more and lose them all at one time lol.