Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Mittens and Mercy

First I want to say I am behind in everything once again! We did some remodeling on our house (still isn't done) it messed up our schedule. Then we went on a small vacation so my son says. I call it a long but very nice trip. Anyway, I will try to get caught up in the next few days. I want to write first about today or I will forget about it.

MITTENS!

My naughty kitten has lost his mittens and he began to cry. Oh Mommy dear I fear my mittens I have lost! and then he cried some more.... I forgot it was winter... AND CRIED More..... It in Jan 10 and we didn't have ANY snow until the tiny bit we got last night. I will not be able to find my gloves before it melts away if I have to look any longer!

Hmmmm.... The Mommy in me thought.... Than you shall have no pie????? I don't know? It is Jan 10 and he does have a point! It was 60 degrees last week. My solution was to offer our yearly Mom made mittens. The mittens that he always snubs his nose at because they are not gloves with fingers and moans his unhappy thank you mom just loud enough to show SOME respect. The same mittens that every year he becomes VERY thankful for when he can't find his new gloves or they are still wet from playing outside earlier that day. Only I called them mercy Mittens today. When we got him new gloves this season he was told he needed to put his gloves away so when we got snow he would have them. My son doesn't like mittens ever so he was disappointed he couldn't find his gloves but the thought of having a pair of mittens to be able to play in the tiny amount of snow sounded WONDERFUL to him today! I enjoyed seeing his eyes perk up when I said I would make him some mittens. I told him how I do expect him to take care of his gloves and when he finds them he MUST put them away. I also told him that I would give mercy. Shhhhh PLEASE don't tell him how many pairs of gloves I misplaced when I was his age! LOL! I am walking that fine line of trying to teach my child responsibility but at the same time remember what 6 year old children do because they are still children. The hardest thing is when I have to take a look back to how careless I was as a child. My Mom always understood and I think I must have got about 20 pairs of mercy mittens a season! I DREAM of being as patient and understanding as my Mom was but that is a HARD thing to do. I will keep trying. Anyway this is my mercy mittens! I guess when he finds his gloves I will bake the pie. LOL! The mittens are not beautiful or perfect but if you can turn on a sewing machine and put the thread in you can make them in about 10 minutes time. They kept his hands warm and helped him create a wonderful childhood memory of playing in snow that he has wanted to play in for months now.

Place hand with fingers open some on some fleece fabric. It doesn't take much fabric. Then just traced around it.


Cut out 4 layers 2 for right hand 2 for left. Stitch around them using a zigzag VERY QUICK.


Turn them so the seam is on the inside. In past years if I made them smaller than expected he did wear them with the stitching on the outside. LOL! This year I used my hand so he has LOTS of room. I added some FOE elastic around the bottom so they wouldn't fall off.



One not so perfect set of mittens but one new and very precious memory made for him to have forever. I doubt he will remember the gloves when he is grown but he might remember the year he had to wait until Jan 10th to play in the snow and how exciting it was.

1 comment:

Holly said...

So sweet! And cute mittens, too.
My dd leaves her mittens/gloves out in the backyard VERY often-guess, it's just a 6yo thing :~)